Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Barber


The relationship between a black man and his barber will be the 3rd most important relationship a man has in his life before marriage; the first two being, his mother and his childhood friends. A black man's relationship with his barber is one of loyalty, openness, advice, and groomship. A barber is quintessential in any black man's life. The prickly hairs left on his collar from the shaping of the fresh, are like the wind beneath his wings. My Barber...


Personally, my barber is probably one of the most popular barbers in Chicago. Most of the time you hear people say "Mike the Barber" or "You mean, Mike that cut up at League Styles, over there on 74th and King Drive"..."Yeah, that Mike." He's been cutting my hair before I was this sexy hunk of a male specimen, you see today. I mean he was cutting my hair, when I was chubby with the coke bottle glasses that had the double bar. Mike has been lining me up, ever since I got tired of my father giving me whatever he wanted me to have. Every time I leave Chicago, I miss Mike that cuts up at League Styles, over there on 74th and King Drive.


Things That Barbershops Have to Offer


Important Dialogue
The barbershop is the one of the most important places for a black man to gather his thoughts, speak his mind, be heard, and receive important information about his culture. You probably thought it was the church, it's not. The black man isn't judged by the color of his skin or the rachetness of a shape-up gone awry because of the harsh wintery gaze of America in his local barbershop.

Confidence
Who doesn't need a confidence booster every now and then? Once you leave the shop you are a new man. Have you ever witnessed that fresh outta the shop walk to the car? Well next time you see a man with a fresh cut leave the shop pay attention to the way he walks, you'll notice that he will walk as if he has- a milli stashed and a date with Kerry Washington later that night.

Confidant
Every now and again you get useful advice from your barber. Usually your barber is either older or wiser than you are. If your barber isn't wiser than you are, than I suggest you get a new one because you're not truly getting your money's worth. It isn't all about the cut, there's an entire experience when you get a haircut. Laughter, relaxation, wisdom, and character revitalization(through image or exterior maintenance).

Hook-Ups
You can always or should always be able to get something for the low at your local barbershop. Anything should be avail rather its liquor, shampoo, soap, socks, towels, bootlegs, new cd's, a good word in with a local mechanic...there should be something there.

Sometimes You See Famous People
People I've Seen- Maino, Tim Hardaway, Jalen Rose, Juwuan Howard, I can't think of anybody else at the moment...

There wasn't even a reason I put this up here. I just happened to miss my shop and barber at the time. I always miss my barbershop when I go back to Howard at the end of my breaks. DC barbers ain't got sh!t on Chicago barbers. Tell them the Hallway said it. A fresh haircut gives you superpowers over the coochie, no matter how ugly you are a woman can always appreciate a good clean cut on any man.

Ladies, how does leaving the salon make you feel? How do you feel when you see a man with a fresh haircut? Have you ever just wanted to sit down and listen to what men talk about in the barbershop? Just say hello




Get Your theSUNK boyshorts or t-shirts ($30) by clicking here. 



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

This is so true. There is nothing like a GREAT barber...the only thing is they can be hard to find. The best barber I ever had was when I was in the ATL. I've never received a cut close to that quality since. They either want to push back the line or get you out of the chair in 5 mins. Quality wins every time. I can't wait until I find another barber as good as Earl...or better.

January 28, 2012 at 5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home